Working at a Tropical Beach Resort & Spa
For job seekers who require sand between their toes, warm air, and a little humidity, there is no better place to seek employment than at a beach resort. As tropical beaches are not limited to one area of the globe, for those that seek sand and culture, there are opportunities to find employment all over the world.
The mission of a beach resort is to create an experience that is best described as paradise. They will attract guests that want to take advantage of the outdoor surroundings, and as a benefit, the resort staff will get to do the same.
Jobs in the Tropics!
Whether it's the massage therapist that gives ocean-side treatments, the server that tends to those sunbathing, the bartender that serves up fruity cocktails in a wood hut or the Kid's Club counselor that leads shell-hunting expeditions, if you are a part of the resort staff, sunshine and fresh air will almost surely get incorporated into your every day.
In addition to the professional positions that make a resort operation smoothly, there are a plethora of opportunities for the entry-level worker and for workers that have a unique skill that is needed in the destination to teach or guide guests. Instruction in fishing, scuba diving, sailing, surfing, and yoga are just some of many examples of common activities where expertise is needed.
In addition, beach destinations are often popular spots for weddings, and therefore will have an event planner and supporting staff to plan the operational details of the wedding.
It should be noted that depending on how remote the tropical location, often the sales and marketing team will be based in a satellite office near a major feeder market and travel to the resort multiple times a year.
Types of Tropical Resorts: Which is for You?
Resorts types are as varied as the guests they attract. They can be boutique or large in size. They can be child friendly or adult-only. They can be all-inclusive or non-inclusive. They can be located in an area that is quite developed or reversely in an area that is extremely remote. For those looking to work at a beach resort, these characteristics can be mixed and matched to find the ideal work environment.
Seasonality of Jobs in the Tropics
Naturally, beach resorts will be located in destinations with a great climate and lots of sunshine. It is important to note that some resorts will close seasonally depending on weather trends. For example, it is common for Caribbean hotels to close in September and October due to increased rain and possible hurricanes. Similarly, properties in Southeast Asia will often close during Monsoon Season. These seasonal closures can be a positive feature for those that want to travel the world in their time off.
Increasing Your Chances of Finding Employment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Previous experience in a service oriented position
- If position is abroad, previous experience with foreign cultures (i.e., study abroad, volunteering abroad, etc.)
- If destination is abroad or attracts foreign guests, proficiency in a second language or multiple languages
- If entry-level, willingness to consider a variety of positions
- Willingness to work nights and weekends
- Possessing a unique talent or skill that coalesces with the destination. (i.e., sailing instruction in the islands, fishing guide in Mexico, surfing in Hawaii)
To learn more about the unique benefits and challenges of working and living in paradise, continue reading on in our Member’s Section.
Our Members Can:
all the latest
job postings (Many of which are not listed
- Post a resume and profile in our
proprietary JobSeekers Database. Put yourself in front of
- Get detailed,
up-to-date information about working
for cruise lines, beach resorts and spas, travel and tourism companies, and luxury yachts.
- Learn about hundreds of cruise
lines, beach resorts, cruise
ship concessionaires, mega yachts, and tour operators.
- Link directly to online and printable employment
- Find accurate answers to every question about how and when to apply, writing an effective resume/CV, interviewing, and much more.
- Plus - dozens of incredible, exclusive interviews with industry professionals (just like the one above!).
Also, we have produced a video to show you exactly what you get with your Cruise Job Finder Membership. Watch the Cruise Job Finder Video.
To find your dream resort job or beach resort job, become a Member today!