The World's Most Amazing Yachts
New superyachts are launched every single year. The yachts are mostly commissioned by wealthy individuals for private use rather than for charter or commercial purposes, but they still mean many new jobs for yacht crew members. In fact, the largest new superyacht, the Eclipse, has quarters for up to 75 crew members.
Start your search for your Dream Job Today!
The yachting industry has been seeing a boom in business throughout most of the twenty-first century for a few main reasons. One is the increasing number of retirees interested in yachting trips, and the second is the higher number of people with more disposable income as many countries' economies develop and grow. The result is a demand for more yachting trips, a need for more yachts, and the hiring of more yacht crew. Many yachts have been designed and built over the last decade to accommodate this surge in demand and to provide passengers with an experience they'll never forget.
Working onboard one of these yachts can also be a great experience for crew members. These amazing yachts feature multi-deck levels, jacuzzis, basketball courts, and many other extras. Here is our list of some of the largest privately owned yachts, as well as yachts available to charter, along with their size, features, and special amenities.
- Eclipse: Commissioned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, the Eclipse is a 164-meter motor yacht that is reported to be the most expensive yacht ever commissioned. Although the onboard amenities haven't been confirmed, they are reported to include two helipads, a submarine, multiple hot tubs, a pool, and a missile-detection system. It is also reported that the yacht accommodates 30 guests and up to 75 crew members.
- The Alexander: The luxury motor yacht the Alexander is the largest yacht available for charter. It is 122 meters and can accommodate up to 80 guests. The Alexander offers its guests an outdoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi, a full-size discotheque and bar, a 27-seat private cinema or conference room, satellite TV channels, a full gymnasium, a fully equipped hospital, and a fully certified helipad with lights and securing points.
- The Maltese Falcon: This ship is one of the largest luxury sailing yachts in the world at 88 meters. She can house up to 12 guests in six cabins, and her specially designed sails allow her to cruise at up to 15 knots. Other features include six full sets of dive gear, water skis, and snorkeling gear, a full gym, audio visual equipment, a 50" plasma television in the main salon, and satellite TV and DVD throughout the boat.
- The Dubai: The Dubai is the second largest privately owned yacht in the world. It is owned by Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktou, and it launched in 2006. It is 162 meters and it can sail with up to 115 guests and crew members. It has seven decks, a mosaic swimming pool, Jacuzzis, and a helipad.
- The Turama: This ship is the second largest luxury yacht available for charter. The Turama is more than 117 meters in size, and she can accommodate a total of 70 guests and 58 crew members. Amenities onboard the Turama include swimming pool, gym, spa, 80- to 100-seat theater, onboard hospital, as well as water toys such as wave runners.
- The Mirabella V: Another of the largest luxury sailing ships in the world, the Mirabella V is 75 meters, and houses 12 guests and 14 crew members. She has six cabins and cruises up to 10 knots. Guests can enjoy the pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, and gymnasium, as well as the water toys, the water ski equipment, snorkeling equipment, dinghies, and kayaks.
- The Al Said: The Al Said is the third largest privately owned yacht in the world. It is 155 meters and houses 70 guests and up to 154 crew members. It is composed of six large decks and a helipad. This yacht is owned by the Sultan of Oman, who has kept details of its amenities private.
- Christina O: The third largest luxury yacht available for charter was formerly owned by Aristotle Onassis and it is 99 meters and can accommodate up to 34 guests and 30 crew members. In addition to its luxurious interior, guests are offered the use of an extensive library, a children's playroom, a fitness center, beauty parlor, and massage room. She also has a swimming pool that converts to a dance floor, a large Jacuzzi, expansive sunbathing decks, and a helipad.
- The Athena: At 90 meters, the Athena is a classically inspired sailing ship and one of the largest luxury sailing yachts. She can comfortably accommodate 10 guests and up to 18 crew members. She can sail at close to 19 knots and she comes equipped with SCUBA gear, snorkeling equipment, water skis, knee boards, wake boards, ringos, and kite-surfing gear.
- The Indian Empress: This luxury motor yacht is 95 meters and available for charter. She can hold 32 passengers and 42 crew members, and she has a helicopter landing pad, pool, Jacuzzi, and a teak deck.
This is just a small sampling of the largest super yachts sailing today, and as you can see most of them require a larger number of crew members than guests, which means more opportunities for those seeking jobs in the industry. As a Cruisejobfinder member, you'll have access to more highlights and information about the top yachts sailing today, as well as details about the crew members needed to run them. In addition, you'll read interviews, tips, and advice from successful yachting crew professionals.
Start Your Job Search Today!
Use CruiseJobFinder to help your find your dream job. There are thousands of open jobs right now. Simply click the button below to start your job search.